Summary: In this blog, we learn all about what to do if your dog gets stung by a bee! We’ll discover what the symptoms of a wasp sting or bee sting are, and whether they need to see a vet or if you can help at home. Read on to find out more on what to do if your dog’s stung by a bee…
My Dog Got Stung By A Bee – What Do I Do?
We’ve all seen the funny pictures on our social media pages of the poor fur babies who’ve gotten stung by a pesky, buzzing wasp or bee. Their little swollen faces may be a source of laughter for those of us watching from afar, but when it’s your own four-legged friend, it may be more a cause of concern, rather than comedy.
Bee and wasp stings can be fairly uncomfortable for dogs if and when they occur, and they’re relying on their pet parents to know what to do to help relieve the pain. So, if your dog’s stung by a bee, here’s what to look for and what to do…
What Are The Symptoms Of A Wasp/Bee Sting In Dogs?
If Fido’s wandered in from the yard or bounded back from a solo forage on a walk, how can you tell if a wasp or bee sting has occurred?
- If they’ve been stung on their paw, they may limp or try to keep it elevated
- They may whine
- They may bite or nibble on the stung area
- There may be swelling
- They may drool
- They may paw at their face/mouth
- They may develop hives, which will make their skin red, itchy, and inflamed
What To Do If Dog Gets Stung By Bee
Thankfully, most bee and wasp stings don’t require veterinary intervention and will relieve themselves. However, if your pup seems distressed by it, you can try and help them. First things first, you yourself must stay calm, as your distress will just worry and stress them out more. Then, you can help by:
- Attempting to remove the sting. Use a clean credit card or something similar, and scrape out the sting. Make sure you don’t squeeze it like a spot – this can have the reverse effect and push the sting further into their skin and cause infection. After you’ve scraped it away, bathe the area with clean, lukewarm water.
- Apply something cold, like wrapped-up ice to the sting, to help soothe the itchiness and inflammation. This cold pack shouldn’t be freezing as this could shock and stress your pup.
- You’ll then need to monitor your pooch to make sure they don’t begin to have an allergic reaction.
PetLab Co. Pro Tip: You may want to try administering a canine-specific antihistamine to your dog. If this is something you’d like to try, always call your vet to check first. Some human antihistamines can be fatal for dogs, so consulting with a qualified vet on the brand you want to use is essential.
When Does My Dog Need To See A Vet If They’ve Been Stung By A Bee/Wasp?
Like humans, some dogs can be allergic to bee and wasp stings and may develop a more serious reaction if they’ve been stung. Symptoms of an allergic reaction occurring include:
- Having a seizure/Fitting
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of throat, eyes, ears, and/or mouth
- Diarrhea and/or vomiting
If you notice any of these signs in your dog, you must get them to their vet as a matter of urgency.
If you suspect your dog has been stung in multiple areas, this can pose more of a problem for dogs to recover comfortably from. In addition, if they’ve been stung inside their mouth the swelling can block their airway. Play it safe, and get them to the vet if this has occurred and you’re worried.
How Can I Prevent My Dog Getting Stung By A Bee?
Unfortunately, you can’t. Bees and wasps can appear anywhere and at any time, and they may choose to sting your pup if they perceive them as a threat.
If you have a curious pooch who likes to jump up and play a game trying to catch these flying critters, the best thing to do is work on their recall training. This will help you feel more confident that they’ll come back to you and away from anything that poses a danger to them.
Can Other Insects Bite My Dog?
Yes. Your dog can get bitten by ticks, mosquitoes, some flies, and ants but like most bee and wasp stings, these are mostly harmless. They’ll only require medical intervention if they are suffering from their symptoms or presenting signs of an allergic reaction.
One way of preventing tick bites is via regular preventative flea and tick treatment. Preventative treatments come in tablet form, injection (administered by the vet) or an oily substance applied to the back of their neck (which you can apply yourself) and usually is required every few weeks. Each method deters these pesky bugs from making a home in, biting, or irritating your dog’s skin.
Regular preventative parasitic control is an absolutely vital part of being a responsible pet parent and protecting your dog and others they come into contact with. So, if they’re not already receiving regular control, it’s time to check in with your vet to get your beloved pet into their flea and tick control routine.
“What To Do If Your Dog Is Stung By A Bee Or Wasp” Blue Cross, Sep 29. 2021 https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/what-do-if-your-dog-stung-bee-or-wasp?fbclid=IwAR29mQ5Y5jepM-Pj-_B3sjeSwQ9BMtF2aGB6TW3obgrmGdqy-jRKY2bygZQ